With the new year underway, many of us are probably spending a good chunk of our time working on maintaining our New Year’s resolutions. While we’ve already looked at some simple tips for keeping your car healthy, it’s also just as important to make sure you take the proper steps necessary to keep yourself healthy. With New Orleans being one of the most overweight cities in the country it’s as important as ever to start staying fit and active. While most drivers seem to spend the necessary time to keep a healthy car- regardless of whether it’s a brand new car or a used car that’s been through multiple decades-these simple tips can help you get started off on the right foot of moving towards a healthier lifestyle.
- Carve out time to unwind. Whether it’s doing yoga, going to see a movie, taking a relaxing nap, or playing a game, making time to relax and do things you enjoy can lower stress, balance out a heavy work load, and increase both physical and mental health.
- Practice meditation. Try to forget about the stigmas surrounding meditation- it’s not just for hippies and weirdos. Even taking 10-15 minutes a day to give your mind a break and recharge has been proven to boost energy and optimize thinking and reasoning skills.
- Find exercise that works for you. It’s no surprise that regular exercise is key to a healthy lifestyle, yet so many people neglect adding it to their routine. Not everybody has the time or willpower to put in an hour long workout at the gym every day, but everybody has the capacity to find something that works for them. Finding a fun way to get exercise is the best way to significantly increase your chances of sticking with it. Whether it’s playing pick-up basketball, going for a bike ride, lifting weights, or going for a swim, find something that you look forward to doing that doesn’t feel like a chore.
- Don’t skip breakfast. Mornings can be hectic and you don’t always have time to cook a gourmet breakfast. Even if you only have a bowl of cereal, having breakfast in the morning recharges your brain and body to increase productivity throughout the day. Furthermore, those looking to control weight should never pass on breakfast to cut calories- in fact, studies have shown a link between eating breakfast each morning and weight loss since it prevents snack binges and overeating later in the day.
- Make the easy changes to your diet. It’s not always practical or convenient to implement a full on diet overhaul, but there are simple adjustments everybody can make that can have a big impact. Limiting fast food, cutting way down on soda consumption, eating fewer desserts, substitution healthy alternatives for snacking, and avoiding foods made from refined flour are all simple steps that can yield big results.
- Don’t be afraid to reward yourself. Decedent or indulgent foods shouldn’t be consumed on a daily basis, but it’s perfectly fine to reward yourself with a hot fudge sundae or piece of fried chicken every once in a while as long as it’s done in moderation. People who periodically reward themselves with indulgent treats are more likely to stick to their diet regimens than those who try to abstain from them altogether.
New Orleans isn’t always the easiest place to keep up a healthy lifestyle with the seemingly endless number of indulgent restaurants and bars. However, you can use these tips to try to start 2014 off in a healthier way and help New Orleans stay far away from obesity lists in years to come.by