Last week Ford announced it is replacing its widely used MyFord Touch for a more modern, functional version. MyFord Touch is Ford’s current in-dashboard infotainment system, which combines radio, music listening and other commands with a touch screen. After tweaking the platform for several years, the company has decided to migrate to a more widely supported software, making it easier to connect with smartphones and run third-party apps.
Ford is also dropping its long time partner, Microsoft, which provided the base software for MyFord Touch. The new system called Sync 3, will rely on the QNX software, Blackberry’s proprietary platform that powers many other operating systems, including their own smartphones. By using QNX, Ford is able to introduce new features and simpler and more intuitive commands. For instance, the new system will be able to run apps like Spotify and Pandora and has a closer integration with Siri. iPhone users will now be able to control Siri with the touch of a button though a feature called “Siri eyes free.”
Ford is rolling out the new system on some 2015 models and wishes to replace MyFord Touch entirely by 2016. The ambitious plan comes after ratings for the current system weren’t as favorable, so Ford listened to its customers and decided to change course. With over 22,000 customer suggestions and countless research clinics and market surveys, Sync 3 aims to be exactly what Ford owners want. Sync 3 will become the standard system for upscale Ford and Lincoln models and will be available for mid-range trims. AppLink will remain the low-end option for other connected Fords.
Here’s the full list of new features available on Sync3 3:
- A more intuitive interface, with crisper graphics and pinch-and-zoom gestures
- Improved voice recognition, with simpler commands and more natural speaking voice
- Increased smartphone connectivity, the system can detect compatible apps and display them on the screen for better interactions
- Wi-Fi network integration, for faster updates and smart-home connectivity
- Emergency 911 Assist, which automatically dials 911 in case of an emergency, using a Bluetooth connection
- Siri Eyes Free, which allows iPhone users to access Siri by touching one button
Lamarque Ford is proud to be one of the premier dealerships in New Orleans, LA. Located in Kenner, LA, Lamarque Ford is committed to providing you the best customer service and vehicle service for the life of your vehicle. Whether you’re on the market to purchase, finance, or service a new or used Ford vehicle, you’ve come to the right place.