In what continues to be, for most Americans, a tough economy, the auto industry has seen some changes in the recent years when it comes to car sales. People are still buying cars, and for that matter, people are still and will always buy new cars. But, recently there has been a surge in the purchasing of pre-owned cars.
According to John Felice, the Ford Motor Co. general manager, Ford and Lincoln pre-owned car sales have skyrocketed nationally. In July of this year, pre-owned car sales were up 35 percent according to autonews.com.
These statistics are high, and they not only are significant for pre-owned car buyers, but also those looking to sell their vehicle. In order to stay competitive in the pre-owned vehicle market, here are a few helpful hints on how to maintain the value and condition of your car.
1. Fix problems as they occur—as soon as you see a dent or scrape on your car, fix it to prevent further problems with rust or paint chipping.
2. Keep a repair fund—make sure you have a rainy day fund for when problems pop up so you can afford to remedy them right away.
3. Keep a detailed list of the services and repairs you have done—this way future owners will know the maintenance history and will be able to further better maintain the vehicle.
4. Change the oil regularly—without oil, your car is worthless so routine oil changes will help prolong the length and improve the quality of your vehicle’s life.
5. Drive carefully—being an aware and smart driver will help prevent problems before they happen!by